Sunday, January 23, 2011

What is success?

Typically, success is measured against an initial goal. However, sometimes we set our goals too high. For example, the motto in my G5 class this year was "Aim high, miss high."  We intentionally tried to do more than we thought we could. Students didn't always accomplish their goals, but I was often surprised by how much they were able to do.


As the school year ends, I have to evaluate students. Likewise, students evaluate me. Were we successful?


 John Wooden, an incredible athlete and coach, said, "Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best you are capable of becoming."


I kind of like this definition. When I play soccer, if I do my best and lose, I am usually still pretty happy.


What do you think about this definition? How do you determine success?



1 comment: