Sunday, November 14, 2010

Adopted for a week

I think, one of the best things about our university is the seminar system. A group of students can study with the same teacher for three years. They get to know each other really well and often do really cool stuff together, like compete in basketball tournaments. I don't have a seminar class, so I usually don't get to participate in these events.

This year, however, Sato sensei's seminar class was too small to make a full basketball team. They wanted to play, so they invited me to join their team.

I think it was a good learning experience for me. I usually don't like basketball that much, but I really had a lot of fun this time.

Also, I wasn't sure how hard to try. Since I am so much taller than everyone else, it didn't seem fair to get so many rebounds. Then, I realized that a lot of the students were faster and better shooters than I was. More importantly, they were all trying their best, no matter who they were competing against! The students were good examples for me. I tried my best, too.

In the end, we lost to the champions during the semi finals and ended up in 4th place. They were really good.


Have you ever been in a situation where you felt uncomfortable doing your best? What did you do?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, he must be Mr.Sato!
    He was a teacher of my seminar last year.
    He was kind to give cakes and juices to us♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sato sensei is very kind and he always expects you to do your best. I think he is a great teacher.

    This morning, I came across a quote from an amazing basketball player and coach. I thought it was appropriate to add it to this post.

    John Wooden once said, "Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best you are capable of becoming."

    Do you find peace of mind when you try your best? If so, do you think that is the same as success?

    ReplyDelete