2 1/4 cups water
6 1/2 cups flour
2 tbsp yeast
2 tsp salt
1) Heat water to 120°F (48° C)
2) Combine 3 cups flour, yeast, salt.
3) Add warm liquid & mix for 3 minutes. Add remaining flour to form stiff dough.
4) Knead until smooth. (8 to 10 minutes)
5) Place dough in a grease bowl. Turn over once to grease. Cover and rise for 30 minutes.
6) Punch down. (Split dough to make smaller loaves if desired.) Flatten dough into 15 x 18 inch rectangle. From long side, roll up tightly, sealing edges and ends by pinching dough together.
7) Place seam side down diagonally on baking paper sprinkled with cornmeal (or flour).
8) Rise for 1 hour.
9) Cover with baking paper and place in oven until the loaf turns light brown on top (about 25 minutes).