Sunday, May 29, 2011

Kabuki Craig

I agreed to give a speech to help raise money for a recent Lion's Club charity event. I didn't really know what I was getting myself into. It turns out that I had to dress up in kabuki costume and give my speech in front of hundreds of people. I was pretty nervous to do it, especially in Japanese.

But, it all went well and I have some fun pictures to share with you. Plus, we raised enough to buy two really nice wheel chairs for a local community center and send a bunch of money north to help people in Tohoku, the area hit by the tsunami. I think we earned about 800,000 yen ($8000).

Before

Wax on my eye brows. (This wasn't fun to remove.)
This is probably where 'yamanba' got started

Getting painted by my teacher. I think he was having fun.

My face is ready.

Now they are getting me ready for the hair.

Here is me in a bald cap. I won't look so bad in five years, right?

Ready to perform!

At least they didn't dress me up like a girl. I think they would have, but the kimono was probably too short.

All finished. Yeah!

2 comments:

  1. Nice. I wish I could have been there to see this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can be there next year if you want to volunteer. They are looking for someone to fill by 'geta'.

    ReplyDelete